Women of Color Advancement Grants are designed to facilitate professional development, career mobility, and networking activities of individuals of color, faculty, staff, and graduate students. Staff and faculty who have been continuously employed at Ohio State for at least one year; full-time undergraduate students at the sophomore level and above; and full-time graduate/professional students are eligible to apply for a Women of Color Advancement Grant. Grants up to $1,000 will be made.
This grant may be used for:
- Participation and/or presentation at professional conferences, seminars, or workshops
- Materials, equipment, supplies, or other expenses directly related to career or professional development
- Developing articles or books for publication
- Networking or mentoring activities
Selection Criteria and Requirements
- Preference is given to individuals with acute financial need.
- Impact of participation on the candidate's individual development and her career or professional goals.
- Financial need, including effort to secure funding from other available sources. Funding not readily available through other sources at Ohio State. Efficient use of resources for the activity/event.
- Undergraduate students — 2.5 or higher cumulative GPA; graduate/professional students — 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA.
- Preference is given to individuals who have not previously received a CDW Professional Development Grant or CDW Reentry Scholarship.
- Funded events must occur between the January 1 and June 30 time period immediately following the fall application deadline (October 1) or between the July 1 and December 31 time period immediately following the spring application deadline (April 17). We adhere to these deadlines. No after-the-fact events will be funded.
- Note to students who receive financial aid: receiving this grant may result in a dollar-for-dollar reduction in your financial aid. Consult Buckeye Link to learn more.
- Recipient’s fiscal department must agree to track all expenses, ensure compliance with grant restrictions and university rules and regulations, and disburse funds to recipient.
All grant funds must be managed by the fiscal officer within the unit/department of the grant recipient. After acceptance of the grant award, the recipient’s department must agree to track all expenses and ensure compliance with grant restrictions and university rules and regulations. Upon agreement to manage funds, a transfer of funds will be made for the full award amount at the beginning of the grant period to the recipient’s department. Only expenses incurred within the grant period are eligible, and a Final Budget Report must be submitted by the end of the grant period. If unused funds are remaining at the end of the grant period, the unused funds will revert back to the CDW program.
- Purchase of personal clothing, personal accessories, and alcohol are not allowed.
- Costs of child care cannot be covered.
- Meal costs are allowed for the recipient only (not per diem) and receipt must:
- Specify food and beverages ordered,
- Directly relate to project implementation, and
- Not exceed per diem travel guidelines for the university which can be found at: https://busfin.osu.edu/sites/default/files/211_travel.pdf
- Travel expenses must conform to university travel policies/guidelines, found on the web at: https://busfin.osu.edu/sites/default/files/211_travel.pdf
- For travel by car, keep a log of your travel destinations, odometer readings, and save your receipts for reimbursement. Specific mileage must be submitted for reimbursement to occur. We reimburse for cost of gasoline, not for mileage.
- All expenses must conform to university financial policies and guidelines, which can be found on the web at: https://busfin.osu.edu/policies-forms
- Only items included in the original application budget can be reimbursed.
Applications are due October 1 (funded activity/event must occur between the January 1 - June 30 time period immediately following October) and April 17 annually (funded activity/event must occur between the July 1 - December 31 time period immediately following April). We adhere to these deadlines. No after-the-fact events are funded.
NOTE: Applicants must complete the process in one sitting; the application form will not save data for later submission. Before you apply, please review the sample application and have all the required information ready.
Critical Difference for Women Development Grant Committee Co-chair